~

Monday, May 15, 2017

Early Morning Devotionals from the Garden

Maybe soon I will learn how to use the video thing on my phone. If you tell me once how to use it, well, that's not enough times. At least I do not mistake the calculator for the phone ... not yet anyway. When I do find out how to use the video part I might even record short devotionals as I sit in the garden. For now, it's picture time.





I enjoy working in the garden. It was probably God's favorite thing to do also. He did create a garden for Adam and Eve after all. Can you imagine what it was like in that garden? And they had fellowship with our Creator right there among the fruit trees, flowers, and plants, not to mention the animals.

It feels good to work with my hands, building things. The small bird aviary in our back yard is now finished, it's a little crooked in places, and I cut some of the wood too short or too crooked. Good thing I know how to hide the flaws. Of course, we cannot hide our flaws from the Lord, but He graciously and patiently works with us anyhow. Can you imagine if He waited for us to be perfect, He would have no disciples, no workers in the church, no church. I'm a little bit like that bird aviary I think, flawed, crooked in places, and a lot of extra pieces of wood and paint to cover up the mistakes. I guess we are all a marvelous work in progress.


For me it is finished and the work was satisfying. The door needs an extra security prop but it opens and shuts and the little parakeets like it, though they are still learning how to fly in such a big space. The aviary is strong enough to keep out the predators like Mira the Husky. She would very much like to get her jaws into one of those colorful parakeets. But the door is shut like Noah's Ark ... maybe not as good as that. 



Early in the morning, just as the sun is rising, I like to walk through our garden alone--so peaceful to walk among the fruit trees and hear the coos of the mourning doves. There I talk with God, my Maker. 

A family of ravens perch themselves on our street light and wait for breakfast. We have spoiled them and now demand fresh bread only. And so the day begins.

Where do you like to spend time with God?

Give ear to my words, O Lord, consider my meditation. Hearken unto the voice of my cry, my King, and my God: for unto thee will I pray. My voice shalt thou hear in the morning, O Lord; in the morning will I direct my prayer unto thee, and will look up. ~Psalm 5:1, 3


No comments:



"Then have them make a sanctuary for me, and I will dwell among them." (Exodus 25:8)